Campus Posting Policies
Posting on campus is restricted to University departments, registered student organizations, and academic classes. Space is not available for commercial advertising by non-University firms or organizations unless a request is received in writing and permission is granted in writing by the Dean of Students.
All posting must have the name of the University department, registered student organization, and/or academic class and follow the posting policies and procedures.
The campus posting policy applies to all forms of posting. Language that harasses, threatens or creates a pervasively hostile environment is not permitted. Additional policies may apply to specific forms or areas. No posting of flyers or literature on car windows, light poles, sidewalks, building doorways, trash cans, or unapproved locations. Violations to the campus posting policy should be reported to the Dean of Students.
Posting Guidelines and Procedures
- Bulletin Boards
All flyers and posters to be placed on bulletin boards must meet the guidelines stated in the first section of this policy. Preferred size is 8.5" X 11" but not to exceed 11" X 17" and must be secured by using pushpins or thumbtacks on bulletin boards. Bulletin boards and posting areas are defined for use as follows:
- Bulletin boards identified as “Designated” or “General University Posting Areas” are available for posting to the following: University departments, registered student organizations, and/or academic classes, and approved non-University firms or organizations. Requests by non-University firms and organizations must be in writing and submitted to the Dean of Students Office (DOSO). To obtain a current listing of all designated or “general University posting areas,” contact Special Events and Scheduling Services (SESS).
- Bulletin boards identified as “Restricted” are under the jurisdiction of a college, department, or administrative office and are restricted to their use only. University campus groups, organizations, and University departments may request permission to use these bulletin boards from the appropriate college, department, or administrative official.
- Groups or individuals using designated bulletin boards may bring ten (10) copies to Special Events and Scheduling Services (SESS) (UC 017) to be posted by a member of the SESS staff. Flyers/posters are typically posted on Tuesday of each week. Provide the SESS staff with the flyers/posters by the end of day Monday. If this deadline is missed, groups or individuals may post flyers/posters with approval from SESS office or postpone hanging until the following Tuesday. SESS reserves the right to postpone the posting of flyers/posters during peak times if space is limited.
- A public posting area is available for posting by off campus groups or for non-University related activities held off campus, with permission from the DOSO. The DOSO is located within the Center for Campus Life on the main level of University Center East, Room 1232 in Fireside Lounge, and can be reached at 812-464-1862 or you may email email@example.com. The public posting area is located just inside the University Center East boulevard entrance.
Banners must follow posting guidelines above. In addition, banners may be hung by registered student organizations and University departments outside the University Center building in designated locations. UC banner space is available on a first-come, first-served basis with SESS, but can be scheduled in advance to secure space. Banners cannot exceed a standard twin sized bed sheet (66”x96”) that hangs vertically. Banner materials cannot contain wood or metal. SESS will provide, free of charge, approved anchors that will not present a risk to people or property. After removal, banners not picked up within five working days will be discarded.
- Staked Signs/A-Frames
Staked signs and A-frames may be utilized by registered student organizations and University departments. Staked signs, maximum size of 18” x 24”, and A-frames, maximum size of 36”x36”, are allowed in specified lawn areas along the sidewalks and roadways if they do not block or overhang onto a walkway, driveway, or street. Staked signs and A-frames must be located 18 inches from the sidewalk edge. Staked signs and A-frames are not permitted in landscaped areas or in specified areas (contact SESS for a map). Any signs posted in non-approved locations will be removed and discarded.
Only directional signs for campus events may be posted in the boulevard median with approval from SESS. Permanent signs are not permitted on University premises. All signs must be removed within 72 hours after the event or Facility Operations and Planning removal charges may apply.
- Table Tents
Table tents in the UC may be utilized by registered student organizations and University departments. To place table tents, permission must be obtained through SESS. Table tents must state the name of the sponsoring University department or student organization and stand upright. Table tents for distribution must be assembled prior to delivery to SESS. Unauthorized table tents will be removed. SESS reserves the right to postpone the placement and limit the number of tables tents during peak times if space is limited.
Chalking may be utilized by registered student organizations and University departments to promote scheduled events and is allowed on outdoor concrete (non-brick) sidewalk areas that are exposed to the weather and can be easily washed away by rain.
- No chalking on the side of the buildings, walls, ramps or steps.
- Only brands of chalk identified as standard sidewalk chalk on label are allowed. Spray chalk, chalk pens, chalk paint and other similar products are prohibited.
- All chalking must meet the campus posting policy. Counter-chalking is not allowed. Counter-chalking is defined as chalking that occurs either directly on original chalking or in proximity to original chalking.
- Facility Operations and Planning charges for cleanup of chalking outside the above policy will incur at the expense of the sponsoring department or organization.
- Student Organizations and/or University departments who misuse or abuse this policy can have access to chalk removed.
Registered student organizations, University departments, and approved non-University firms and organizations may distribute literature/ handbills on campus if in compliance with the campus posting policy, and the following:
- Individuals distributing shall not hawk, shout, or accost individuals.
- The distribution may not obstruct pedestrian or vehicular traffic.
- Literature or handbills discarded on the ground in the general area of distribution are to be picked up by the sponsoring group.
- The distribution of material is not in an area reserved by another organization nor does it impede another scheduled activity or event.
- The distribution of material must be outside and will not be allowed inside University buildings.