Unauthorized individuals, entities or their representatives may not engage in sales, canvassing, peddling, soliciting, distributing or posting of any materials or use equipment or networks owned/operated by the University to do so without written permission of the president of the University or his/her designee. Any activity in violation of this policy should be reported to the President’s Office.
Employees are not permitted to solicit employees or students, canvas or peddle any items, distribute or post any unauthorized material during working time and in work areas on University-owned or controlled property or through equipment or networks owned/operated by the University without the written permission of the president of the University or his/her designee.
Approved solicitations include the annual United Way campaign and various Foundation and University solicitations. Other activities may be approved for projects and/or programs that are of direct interest and value to the University. Employee contributions to charitable and welfare programs and activities are entirely matters of individual discretion.
The University of Southern Indiana and the USI Foundation strictly prohibit fund-raising activities which involve drawings, raffles, half pots, bingo, lottery, charity game nights, games of chance or any scheme for distribution of prizes among persons who are paying for a chance to obtain a prize. Neither the University nor the USI Foundation is a qualified organization licensed by the Indiana Department of Revenue to conduct such activities. University and Student groups are encouraged to solicit funds in other ways. For information, contact the director of Development.
Materials for approved campus solicitations must be approved by the President’s Office or the appropriate vice president.
Soliciting for monetary reasons or selling will not be permitted in public areas except in cases of Student Organizations whose activities are approved through Student Development or other USI organizations as approved by the president or designee. Sales and soliciting groups or individuals holding events are expected to adhere to the following regulations:
- The event must be scheduled with Special Events and Scheduling Services and adhere to all applicable University policies, guidelines and procedures, including but not limited to:
- The use of sound equipment (TV, stereo, amplifiers and public address system) is restricted; permission must be obtained by Special Events and Scheduling Services.
- Groups must display a printed sign no smaller than 18”x24” signifying the name of the organization hosting the sale or solicitation.
- For-profit entities must have a retail sales permit available at the scheduled activity.
- A currently enrolled student or University employee representing the sponsoring group or organization must be present at all times.
For policies related to sales and solicitation by students, see the Student Rights and Responsibilities: A Code of Student Behavior in the University Bulletin.