F.33 Animals on University Property


Animals, defined generally as domesticated pets unless described otherwise below, may be brought on campus only under the following conditions:

  1. The animal is part of a student-led classroom demonstration that has been approved in advance by faculty. In such cases, the animal should be brought on campus immediately before the class and removed from campus immediately after class. The animal must be on a leash or carrying case when in transit.
  2. The animal is being used in a teaching activity conducted and/or directly supervised by faculty and approved in advance by the applicable chair, dean, or vice-president. In such cases, the animal should be brought on campus immediately before the class and removed from campus immediately after class. The animal must be on a leash or carrying case when in transit.
  3. The animal is a “service animal” as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and State of Indiana regulations. Under these laws, a “service animal” is defined as an animal that is specifically trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a physical, sensory, psychiatric/mental, or intellectual disability; and the work or tasks performed by the animal must be directly related to the individual's disability. Animals that only provide crime deterrent effects, emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not fall under the legal definition of “service animal.” The University reserves the right at any time to ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what specific work or task the animal has been trained to perform. The University also reserves the right to request that the animal be removed from the property if it does not meet the legal definition of service animal, if the handler fails to keep it under appropriate control, or if it is not housebroken. An animal meeting the complete and proper definition of “service animal” will otherwise be permitted anywhere on campus that is typically open to students and visitors, but will not be permitted in other areas of campus except as a workplace accommodation as described below in item #4.
  4. The animal is being used as a workplace accommodation by faculty, staff, or student workers with disabilities who require the animal in order to complete the essential functions of their positions at the University. Individuals wishing to have an animal on campus as a workplace accommodation must have the animal approved in advance by the applicable dean or vice- president, in consultation with Human Resources. Information on the employment accommodation process for faculty, staff, and student workers can be viewed online at www.usi.edu/hr/ada/accommodation/.
    1. With the exception of those animals that also meet the definition for “service animal” as described above in #3, animals approved as a workplace accommodation will only be allowed to accompany the individual in areas that the individual must access during the normal course of their work duties at the University.
    2. Some faculty, staff, or student workers may have conditions such as animal-related allergic reactions or phobias that are substantial enough to qualify as disabilities that qualify for accommodations in the workplace, or there may be other concerns related to the presence of an animal. In these circumstances, the University will consider the needs of both persons and will make a good faith effort to reasonably accommodate all disabilities and employment-related concerns to the maximum extent that circumstances permit. Faculty, staff, or student workers who become aware of the presence of an animal that is allowable under this policy in their work area and who believe that they will require such accommodations are encouraged to contact their supervisor as soon as possible. Depending on the circumstances, the involved individual(s) may be referred to the applicable dean or vice-president, in consultation with Human Resources.
  5. Students and Area Coordinators residing in University residence halls or apartments may keep non-predatory tropical fish as long as they are well maintained and kept in aquariums holding no more than 20 gallons of water. They may also keep an animal in their living area that meets the current definition of a “service animal” or “emotional support animal” as defined by state and federal law and best practices that specifically apply to University housing and residential services for individuals with disabilities.

    Detailed information for students wishing to have a service/emotional support animal in University housing can be found in Section 6.3 of "University of Southern Indiana Student Rights and Responsibilities." Any non-students who reside in campus housing (including but not limited to: Area Coordinators, USI and New Harmony Theatre staff, etc.) and any individuals residing with them on campus who wish to have a service/emotional support animal in University housing are also subject to the procedures and responsibilities as described in Section 6.3 of "University of Southern Indiana Student Rights and Responsibilities", with the exception that they must direct their initial notification to Human Resources instead of to Disability Resources. Individuals residing in campus housing who are employed by the University and who wish to have an animal both in their housing unit and at their assigned work site(s) may also be subject to the workplace accommodation process for animals as described above in item #4.

    1. With permission of the president or his/her designee.
    2. The animal is accompanying law enforcement or security officers as a function of their official duties.
    3. Animals that do not fall within the categories defined above in items #1-5 may be exercised on outdoor areas of campus as long as they are on a leash and are not taken to any area(s) where an active program or event is occurring.

In all cases it is the responsibility of the individual(s) bringing any animal to any University-owned or controlled property to be aware of state and local immunization and licensing requirements, to fully comply with those requirements, and to assume any and all liability associated with failure to do so. Such individuals are responsible for cleaning up after their animal, for maintaining humane control of the animal at all times, and are financially responsible for any damage that the animal may cause to University property or injuries caused to other individuals. Individuals involved in any incidents resulting in injury between any animal and individual on campus are responsible for reporting such incidents to Public Safety (812-492-7777) immediately.